Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Doing it Like Dana

Spring is in the air. Finally this short cold winter will be over... I just like the fact I can get home from work and walk the dogs.

I am at the point in my life where I need to step my game up. 26 years old and dying for a job that makes my brain work and use my creativity. I taught a healthy eating class two days a week this past month for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. What an experience. Every question asked was why do we have to do it healthy? Did you read anything about the Healthy Eating Class before you signed up? WHAT IS WRONG WITH HEALTHY? Broaden your horizons and learn how to eat food that is good for you. Have you ever heard the saying "you are what you eat." ?

I taught Cheesecake in my after school High School class. Ms. Vera had the all but 1 oven filled with oven spray. Five cheesecakes in 1 smoky oven led to disaster. Extra long cooking time and no time to set ended up in runny take home cheesecakes. But after you let them cool and firm up so yummy! (Made from scratch fruit topping masked the burnt oil taste that the oven left lingering on the top layer of these cakes)

Today I am experimenting with foods from the Bulk aisle. Lentils, dried fruits, nuts, Israeli cous-cous, fresh produce, and some dried herbs. I am also trying to come up with sugar, dairy and oil alternatives. The oil will be the hardest challenge and I may have to cave. Whatever is the best out of my 5 or 6 experiments will be what I demo on Sunday at Pearl St. Whole Foods; 3-6 pm. Just call me demo girl.

Off to the kitchen to start small chopping, nice cubing, maybe a julienne or two? Knife skills at my finest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment