Saturday, April 30, 2011

Easter. Done and Over

I know, I know, Easter is almost a week past and here I am blogging about it.
Food, my first love. Yes I am a skinny fat girl. give me a cake I'll eat the whole thing. Easter Sunday we had 9 people to serve. How to make it easy? Let me tell you; Egg strata, Creme Brulee French toast, Roasted fingerling breakfast potatoes, dill hollandaise, fruit salad, and tangerine mimosas....

Doesn't really sound easy? Lucky for me the egg strata something my mom always makes for her work brunches. Day old bread (I used challah that I dried out in the oven.) Veggies of choice and if you love meat add some it's not really my preference. I used spring veggies like asparagus, squash and mushrooms. I sauteed them up nice and golden, asparagus stayed crisp still because it is cooked longer in the oven. All you do is layer them in between the bread. I did mine just on top. Then you fill with egg mixture. Soak over night, top with cheese and bake for an hour.

Creme Brulee french toast you make a caramel sauce with butter and brown sugar layer thick slices of bread on top; i think challah is the most rich yummy option and then cover with beaten eggs, milk, and cinnamon until the next morning. Secret to success bake it all off in the morning. have everything prepped the night before.

The next morning i leisurely crawled out of bed, preheated the oven and cut up some fruit. Pineapple, strawberries and the best mango I've had in a long time. I used fingerling potatoes for the breakfast potatoes. To "kick them up a notch" as Emeril would say I added some gar am masala, onions, bell pepper, and of salt and pepper to taste. The main dishes went into the oven. The egg strata took a little more then an hour and the french toast takes just under.

The final touches strawberry sauce for the french toast and dill hollandaise for the strata. I was worried about the hollandaise, my immersion blender has been out of commission so I had to do it the old fashioned way; over a double boiler. It came out better then the immersion blender and everyone got to beat the eggs. Great way to get everyone involved. Ta-DA breakfast was served, and no one went home hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment